Rusland celebrates its 105th agricultural society show in 1987
The 105th Rusland Agricultural Society Show was held at Whitestock Meadow in August 1987 and even a heavy downpour towards the end of the afternoon did not put the dampers on a pleasant day.
Show secretary of the past 30 years, Stan Brownlee, said he thought Rusland had something for everyone.
Mr Brownlee has seen the same faces year after year, including some from as far away as Blackpool and Liverpool. “People who come on vacation call here and they come back again and again,” he said.
Among the attractions that kept them coming back were the sprint and drop races for children and adults and the chase tracks.
And children were well catered for with their own costume contest and animal exhibit.
Rusland also had hundreds of entries each year in the horticultural and craft sections.
Few exhibitors could be more enthusiastic than 90-year-old Jim Clark, who had been coming to Russia for about 70 years.
Mr Clark had been in the meadow the night before setting up his potted plant displays and arrived the day of the show at 8am to make sure everything was perfect.
His hard work paid off as he won the T and M Williams Challenge Cup for his potted plants and horticultural shows.
- Martin Stokes Challenge Cup for the most successful exhibitor in the cut flower and vegetable sections, 100th Show Challenge Trophy for the most successful exhibitor in the vegetable section George Mason, Rusland.
- T and M Williams Challenge Cup for the most successful exhibitor in the potted plants and horticulture sections, – Jim Clark, Backbarrow.
- F and E Major Centenary Cup for most outstanding display of flowers, Satterthwaite Arts and Crafts Challenge Cup for most original display of crafts P Brookes, Lowick.
- George Mason Challenge Cup for Most Outstanding Vegetable Show J Stading, Witherslack.
- Joe Jackson Challenge Cup in the home produce section (Under 16) S Walker, Ulverston.
Meanwhile, our photographers were on hand to capture Rusland Show in 1989 and Cartmel Show in 1987.