SAN ANTONIO – February is Teen Relationship Violence Consciousness Month, and that is the primary yr that the San Antonio Metropolitan Well being District has launched a complete social media consciousness marketing campaign utilizing the hashtag #LoveNotPain.
As circumstances of home violence improve through the pandemic, specialists need teenagers to have the proper info at their fingertips. The marketing campaign entails Metro Well being, the San Antonio Police Division, College Well being, the Rape Disaster Heart and youngsters collaborating in Venture Value and the SAPD Explorers group.
“If, as a good friend, I share one thing, you are more likely to concentrate to it than if the well being division shares it,” mentioned Jenny Hixon, of the violence prevention division at Metro Well being. .
She mentioned the social media marketing campaign has focused teenagers your complete month they spend their time, ensuring they know there are at all times pink flags in unhealthy relationships.
Some unhealthy indicators to search for in a big different embody:
- Management. A relationship companion makes all the choices and tells the opposite what to do, what to put on, or who to hang around with. She or he is unreasonably jealous and / or tries to isolate the opposite companion from family and friends.
- Hostility. A relationship companion chooses a struggle with or opposes the opposite relationship companion. This will trigger one companion to alter their habits to be able to keep away from disturbing the opposite.
- Dishonesty. One relationship companion lies or retains details about the opposite. One relationship companion steals the opposite.
- Lack of respect. A relationship companion mocks the opinions and pursuits of the opposite companion or destroys one thing that belongs to the companion.
- Dependancy. A relationship companion feels that he “can’t dwell with out” the opposite. She or he could threaten to do one thing drastic if the connection ends.
- Intimidation. A relationship companion tries to manage some facet of the opposite’s life by making the opposite companion fearful or shy. A romantic companion could attempt to maintain their companion from family and friends or threaten violence or breakup.
- Bodily violence. A companion makes use of power to power their means by means of (resembling hitting, slapping, grabbing, or shoving).
- Sexual violence. A romantic companion pressures or forces the opposite to have interaction in sexual exercise towards their will or with out their consent.
This final level is most vital for Lauren Gonzalez, an elder at Communication Arts Excessive College who has began her personal schooling program on sexual violence.
“I feel individuals neglect that you could be sexually abused by your companion and the particular person you are relationship, whether or not it is as a result of they strain you to do one thing or as a result of they make you are feeling unhealthy about it. not assembly their wants. We simply do not actually discuss it, ”mentioned Gonzalez.
She mentioned that did not imply it wasn’t taking place. It’s in truth fairly the alternative.
“I did a survey final summer season, and despatched it out to children my age in San Antonio, and acquired 109 responses. I requested a query: “What number of of you’ve got skilled some type of sexual violence?” And 67% of them mentioned ‘sure’, ”Gonzalez mentioned.
Hixon mentioned that when younger individuals are conscious that any type of abuse is occurring, they need to know that it’s secure to say one thing, particularly to adults even an online dating.
“Our different message is for folks or different adults within the lifetime of a teen. We frequently dismiss relationships with teenagers saying, “It is simply the love of puppies.” We have to take these relationships significantly as a result of these early experiences of affection and relationships have a huge effect on how individuals take into consideration relationships for the remainder of their lives, ”Hixon mentioned.
Hixon mentioned it is important for adults to maintain the dialog open so teenagers do not feel embarrassed or embarrassed.
“So if the children assume their relationship is not proper, they belief you to ask these questions,” she mentioned.
If you’re a teen and need to discuss to somebody about relationship violence, you may at all times stay nameless and name the nationwide hotline at 866-331-9474, textual content LOVEIS at 22522, or go to the Love website. is Respect. web site and talk about in full confidentiality with an knowledgeable.
Copyright 2021 by KSAT – All rights reserved.